By the Numbers
ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY
As of Saturday, August 3rd the City of Poughkeepsie has been free of gun violence for 180 days.
• Increased use of drugs or alcohol
• Isolating from family and friends
• Sleeping too little or too much
• Withdrawing from daily activities
• Increased agitation or anger
• Trauma/abuse or neglect
• Increased depression, anxiety or other mental health symptoms
• Family history of suicide
• Relationship stress, loss or divorce
• Financial stress
• Loss of a job or home
3) Individuals who previously attempted suicide are at 30 to 40 times increased risk to die by suicide than someone without a history of suicide attempts.
4) Reach out when you think someone may be suicidal. Let them know that they are not alone and that you are there for them.
5) The most effective way to prevent suicide is to reduce access to guns.
6) All suicidal thoughts or actions should be taken seriously. Know your community resources. Seek help from a mental health professional.
Ulster Prevention Council
Ulster County Family Advocate Program
A Look Back
Family Services’ 2019
Shop and Support Family Services