Teen Resource Activity Center (TRAC)
TRAC provides supervision and invaluable mentoring to Poughkeepsie youth. Young people come after school to participate in recreation, healthy living workshops, and enrichment activities. Youth can even learn to produce their own music and podcasts in our Community Music Studio Learning Room. Youth also receive academic assistance, exam preparation, and have the opportunity relax and socialize with friends in a safe and supportive environment. The Center serves as a support system for local teens.
TRAC is open Tuesday through Friday from 4:00pm-8:30pm for middle school students and high school students. All participants must complete an application in advance. (See the link to access our online registration portal in the side bar).
- Physical activity— Each day, participants engage in either basketball, volleyball, STEP Dance, and other sports
- Work readiness training— During the Summer Youth Employment Program, youth learn work readiness skills and secure job placements over the course of 8 weeks. Additional workshops happen throughout the school year.
- Healthy living and violence prevention workshops— TRAC collaborates with local organizations and businesses to provide workshops on nutrition and wellness, financial literacy, teen pregnancy prevention, as well as workshops that support youth as they encounter gun and gang violence.
- A Nutritious Meal is served each day – restaurant grade meals are provided to youth in partnership with local businesses.
- Creative Arts — Includes self-expression through media, music and visual arts. Youth can create their own podcast or produce their own beats in our music studio. Youth have regular access to arts and crafts activities as well as special activities, such as creating their own books with a local author.
- Academic Assistance — TRAC provides academic assistance through mentoring, study skills, and homework help. Tutoring is provided by college interns and community volunteers. TRAC is equipped with computers and tablets to assist youth with their school assignments, test preparation and college searches. TRAC engages teens in activities that help youth develop the tools and skills that are needed to be successful in school, the community, and their futures.
- Cultural Exploration —Includes ethnic celebrations and cultural origin activities.
- Service Learning — Community service projects are designed and implemented by youth. Activities have included cooking and serving the community with Dutchess Outreach.
- Family Nights / Parent Activities – This school year TRAC looks forward to hosting activities such as parent and teen basketball games and parent workshops such asinternet safety, parent/child conflict resolution, and middle school/high school transitioning.