Date(s) - 10/13/2018
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
All Sport Health & Fitness
Inviting All to Walk the Walk!
8th Annual Family Services
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®
Saturday October 13, 2018
9:00am Walk & Silent Auction
All Sport Health & Fitness Club Outdoor Club
17 Old Main Street, Fishkill, NY
“You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”
Family Services asks you to stand up against sexual assault, gender violence and domestic violence and join us at our annual event: Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®.
While this event originally challenged men to walk a mile in high heeled shoes, we at Family Services know the challenge to walk a mile in solidarity must be addressed to everyone in our community who wants to help save a life and raise awareness.
We invite everyone to walk in any kind of shoes that they feel represents those for whom they walk — be it high heels, high tops, boots, loafers, flip flops or flats. Walking in someone else’s shoes gets the community to talk about and confront the need to eliminate rape, sexual assault, domestic violence, and gender violence.
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18
- 1 in 5 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- 1 in 2 transgender individuals are sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives
- Every 9 seconds in the US, a women is beaten or assaulted
- In 8 out of 10 cases of sexual assault, the victim knows the perpetrator
- While most men are not violent, over 90% of sexual violence perpetrators are male
We welcome people of all ages & genders to walk with us to help end rape, sexual assault, gender violence and domestic violence and support those affected by these crimes.
For more information:
Please contact Pat Sexton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-452-1110 x 3116